{a student's account of life in El Paso}

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

God Sighting

Life has been full of extremes lately, and understandably so. The end of this intense program is starting to draw near, and sometimes it seems like other things are getting close to the end too, like my strength, my patience, and my sanity :)

But in spite of all the things going on in life, God still shows up in amazing ways, one of which I will share here:

When I first came to El Paso we stayed at a La Quinta hotel here, and while my parents were here we got to stay there again. Over the past months here I've gone back to the hotel a number of times to reconnect with the staff there and to have a safe place to hang out and use the internet. I've enjoyed getting to know the front desk manager and having the opportunity to hang out with him and partner. Because of the nature of my job and the nature of their lifestyle our conversations have been diverse, and they, knowing my beliefs, have asked my opinion and perspective on a lot of controversial and sensitive subjects. I think there was mutual respect as far as worldview went, and I enjoyed being challenged to put my thoughts and beliefs into words, and in turn being heard, countered, and challenged to think further. Though the conversations seemed to be enjoyed by both parties, there seemed to be a mutual understanding that neither of us was going to change.
But then, when my mom was able to spend time with our friend, he shared with her that there had been a change in his life, and God was able to use my mom to listen to him and to speak truth into his life. What an amazing surprise for me! I don't know what the change means yet, but God does, and He is already at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment